Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Its a cruel cruel world

The last week has been one for the books.  As a family, we learned of the deaths of four of our friends parents.  It was a hard pill to swallow.  Two were anticipated, one happened a few years back (I just learned of it) and one was out of the blue.  It really taught us how fragile life is.  I also saw my grandfather, her great-grandfather, go into an assisted living home for Alzheimer's patients.  It was one of the worst things I have seen in quite some time.  I hate him being there, and I hate that Maddie will grow to know him there.  It just proves that sometimes things are out of our control.

Maddie went to her first funeral on Sunday.  She slept through the entire service.  I must say, I held her very close as I listened to the words that the preacher had to say.  I want to protect her from hurt and pain.  It is not possible, and I know that, but she is too sweet to ever feel hurt like I have seen in the last week. 

The preacher talked of the man who passed in a very inspirational way. It made me think of my life and what Maddie's life would become.  I pray that she is involved.  That she is friendly, kind, generous, selfless, and possesses all of the good traits that the preacher mentioned Sunday.  I am eager to teach her manners and to show her how to be thankful for family, friends, and loved ones. 

In this cruel world, I want to keep her innocence as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment